Who are you and where are you?
Roanna ‘Zee’ in Vancouver BC Canada.
Tell me about your relationship with gluten..
My gluten free journey began in 2008 with a variety of frightening ills. In March 2011 I started to write about it on my own blog, Wheatless in Vancouver. Today I strive to enjoy the foods I can eat, creating recipes on the fly using as local ingredients as I can afford on a budget. I’m in a constant state of mind & body maintenance but I keep on swimming for the horizon. Being happy is really important to me, after all, what’s life with out joy?
Why should gluten free travellers visit your town?
Vancouver BC is known for it’s culinary offerings and the successes of the leaders in the industry are widely talked about. Gluten free meals are not hard to find here. We love to eat and talk about it.
Tell me something fun about your town..
It’s been written that Vancouver is a ‘no fun’ city. Why, I don’t know. Maybe due to the seemingly endless cloudy days and rain? Certainly if you love the outdoors, snowy mountains, bicycling, hiking, crafting, eating and meeting friends for cocktails, this city is fun! It’s up to you to decide.
Where is your favourite place to eat out in your town and why?
One I really like is The Wallflower. They have a great reputation for offering great gluten free grub with lots of flavour. Another is The Parker, a vegetarian place I just came across which looks amazing! I’m definitely going to try it soon. Lastly is The Acorn, making a name for itself.
Vancouver offers the gluten free traveller a whole lot of options! Here are some of the other places Roanna has tried. You can check out her Yelp reviews of some of these places if you want to find out more.
- The Gluten Free Epicurean on 633 E 15th Ave is a 100% gluten free bakery selling cakes, cupcakes, cookies, pastries, doughnuts, bars and lots of other gluten free delights!
- My Goodness! Gluten and Wheat Free Kitchen on East Broadway offers lots of amazing sounding speciality breads, pizza, crackers, desserts, muffins, scones, cookies, biscotti and all of it gluten and wheat free!
- Perch on East Hastings do a thin crust gluten free pizza and mozzarella cheese can be replaced with Daiya for dairy free folks! You can also get your sandwich or burger on a gluten free bun and your chili or soup with gluten free garlic toast!
- Taman on E Hastings is a Palestinian restaurant with gluten free options.
- House of Dosa on Kingsway does lots of naturally gluten free South Indian options.
- Panne Rizo on Cornwall Ave specializes in baked gluten free goods. They offer quite the selection of breads, cakes, pies, flours, mixes, cookies and muffins.
- Cafe Nuba at the Waldorf Hotel on 1489 E Hastings St
- Stix Noodle and Grill on 903 Commerical Drive
- East is East on Main Street
- Cafe Deux Soleils on Commercial Drive
- Bandidas Taqueria also on Commerical Drive
Do you live in Vancouver or have you travelled there? Where is your favourite place to eat gluten free?