Since being diagnosed as coeliac, rice has been my gluten free best friend! Thankfully, I was always much more of a rice girl in pre-coeliac days anyway so using rice in a large percentage of my meals feels normal to me.
Bibimbap, a Korean rice dish which literally means ‘mixed meal’ was one of my favourites when I lived in Seoul and is the inspiration for many mixed meals that I make these days. Simple, gluten free and as colourful as possible is the way to go. If kimchi is involved, even better!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 cup of rice
- half can of sweetcorn
- half can of peas
- red pepper
- half an onion
- chilli powder
- tomato paste (or kimchi)
- dried seaweed
How to make it
- Empty one cup of rice and 1.5 cups of water into a pot and turn heat on
- When rice starts boiling, take off heat and cover
- Slice garlic, onion and pepper and fry in pan
- Add corn and peas and mix
- Add some tomato paste and chilli powder
(this can be substituted for spicy Kimchi to make it more Korean if available and depending on your mood)
- Add veggie mixture to boiled rice and mix together
- Serve with dried seaweed on the side and enjoy!