When you’re celiac shopping is tough. It really is. The simplest of things seems to contain gluten. Jars of tomato sauce for example, or sauce in general, can often be hiding gluten containing ingredients. Or if not the ingredients, many sauces are made on shared equipment with…bla bla bla. We’ve all heard it a hundred times and it drives us crazy. Even simple canned tomatoes or tomato paste can come with a little uncertainty too. What can we do about this? We can make our own! This is my new mantra. Want to stay safe? Make your own! I wanted a simple tomato sauce which was gluten free so I decided to make my own from fresh ingredients and luckily it turned out to be pretty tasty! This time we ate it with gluten free pasta, chicken and peppers. Delicious! It works really well as a pizza sauce for home-made gluten free pizzaÂ too!
Ingredients (3-4 servings)
- Fresh tomatoes – 1 lb/500 gms
- Red onion – medium
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Basil – We used all the leaves from one bunch
- Olive oil – just enough to thinly coat the bottom of the pot
How to make it
- Mix up tomatoes and basil in food processor
- Fry onion and garlic in a pot with olive oil
- Add tomatoes and basil to the pot
- Simmer on low heat for an hour/until sauce thickens
- Serve on gluten free pasta and enjoy!