When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease I decided to start a food diary. I was brand new to eating gluten free and learning where gluten could hide so I wanted to ensure I was keeping on track. If I felt particularly bad or especially good I wanted to know why. Last year when I was having some lingering symptoms I decided to start up my daily food dairy again. In a Google Doc I’ve been recording what I eat every day this year and it has really been helping me to stay safe and avoid any unnecessary glutening. As a result of keeping this food diary I’m now feeling better and more gluten free than ever before! I would recommend starting a food diary to anyone who is suffering from symptoms which may be food related. It can be a simple and pain free way to discover which foods are hurting you and which are doing you good.
My daily food diary includes..
- A list of everything I’ve eaten throughout the day
- Any symptoms I experience that day
- Any outside factors which could create gluten like symptoms such as my period/illness/jetlag/stress etc
Why do I keep a food diary?
- If I get glutened it allows me to look back for patterns in foods I’ve eaten which may be making me sick
- It helps me to identify any new food intolerances
- It helps me think more about what and how much I’m eating because I’m writing it all down
If you keep a food diary, do you find it useful? Did it help you to discover what was making/keeping you sick?