My two favourite foods are cereal and sushi so I thought to myself, why not combine the two and make delicious candy sushi. Before being diagnosed as coeliac I was a huge fan of making rice krispie cakes with either marshmallow or chocolate and I felt the desire to see if I could make even more delicious ones that were not only gluten free but in the shape of nigiri and maki sushi. Get creative with whatever fishy candy shapes you can get your hands on!
As much as I’m not a fan of Kellogg’s (They have only recently come out with one gluten-free cereal)Â I looked to their recipe for Marshmallow treats as they thought they may know something about quantities when making these things. I used Kallo rice cereal and Haribo marshmallows. I didn’t use any butter in my recipe as I didn’t feel it was necessary.
Ingredients (makes both Maki & Nigiri)
- Gluten free rice cereal (approx 225g)
- Marshmallows (approx 200g)
- Gluten free candy in the shape of fish
- Gluten free worms or other long and thin candy
How to make Maki
- Melt 200 grams of marshmallows into a medium pot
- Add 225 grams of rice cereal to melted mallows and mix until cereal is covered (Add extra cereal if there are more than enough mallows)
- Scoop mixture onto foil covered tray
- Flatten mixture into flat rectangle shape
- Take jelly worms and lay across mixture
- Roll mixture into a circle and cut to create maki
Use remaining mix to make Nigiri
- Take small amount of cereal/mallow mix into your hands and roll into sushi rice shape
- Top with fish candy to look like nigiri
- Serve and enjoy!