Fajitas are tasty and most of the ingredients tend to be naturally gluten free so what a perfect meal for celiacs. Most people (in the UK at least) use wheat tortillas to eat with their fajitas but if you substitute these for corn tortillas and double check that all of the ingredients you are using are gluten free, you’ve got yourself a delicious, filling meal!
Finding corn tortillas in the US is simple. They are everywhere and they are super cheap. Finding them in the UK on the other hand is not so simple. If you look at ‘corn tortillas’ you find in our supermarkets the first or second ingredient is wheat flour! Crazy, right? The only real corn tortillas I’ve managed to find in the Glasgow area were at Lupe Pintos on Great Western Road in the West End, a store which sells various American, Mexican and Spanish products. They aren’t cheap at around Â£2.50 for 12 but so far I’ve found nowhere else to buy them! If you use tortillas, let me know where you buy them please…
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500 grams turkey/chicken breast
- Corn tortillas (3 or 4 each)
- 2 large peppers (different colours if possible)
- Half an onion
- Fajita seasoning (I used Discovery)
- Gluten Free spicy salsa (again, I used Discovery)
- Grated cheese
How to make it
- Cut turkey breasts into medium pieces and cook in pan with fajita seasoning.
- Chop onion and two large peppers and add to pan
- Heat corn tortillas in microwave or pan
- Put grated cheese, salad and spicy gluten free salsa in separate bowls to self serve
- When meat is ready, serve in another bowl
- Grab a tortilla, fill it with all that deliciousness and enjoy!
(TOP TIP: Corn tortillas tend to break easily so don’t overfill!)