I first started eating polenta in Argentina, basically because it was ridiculously cheap ($0.50 for 1kg), the bag said it could be prepared in one minute and as there was no gluten free breakfast cereal to be found this was the next best thing. I cooked it almost every morning with cinnamon and fruit like a porridge. Although my enjoyment of polenta began at breakfast, it has grown with my discovery that it could be used as a tasty addition to various gluten free meals at any time of the day.
Ingredients (serves 4-5):
- Gluten free corn meal/Polenta (I used Bob’s Red Mill GF Cornmeal)
- one pack of gluten free sausages (the spicier the better)
- green onions
- cajun seasoning
How to make it:
- Boil 6 cups of water in a decent sized pot and add a couple of pinches of salt.
- Slowly mix in 2 cups of gluten free corn meal or polenta and stir for 5 mins.
- Throw in the diced sausage, 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning, 2 tablespoons of green onions and a quarter cup of honey
- Stir for 20 mins or until it’s a good, smooth consistency.
- Take off the heat and let it sit for 5 mins.
- Serve and enjoy!